If It's Fiber...

Monday, April 10, 2006

Poetry Monday

One of my favorite comedies is "The Pirates of Penzance" by Gilbert and Sullivan. The older I get, the more of the humor I get. It makes me laugh almost constantly. I've chosen a very small part of the operetta to post here. For those who are not familiar with the play, here is some background to lead you up to this excerpt. Fredierick was apprenticed to a group of pirates until he turned 21. He's now 21, left the pirates, and just come upon a group of young ladies. The first he has ever seen.
That is an obscenely short synopsis, but it will have to do. Just remember, he has never really been around young ladies. Here's how he tries to woo them.


Oh, is there not one maiden breast
Which does not feel the moral beauty
Of making worldly interest
Subordinate to sense of duty?
Who would not give up willingly
All matrimonial ambition,
To rescue such a one as I
From his unfortunate position?
From his position,
To rescue such a one as I
From his unfortunate position?

Oh, is there not one maiden here
Whose homely face and bad complexion
Have caused all hope to disappear
Of ever winning man’s affection?
To such an one, if such there be,
I swear by Heaven’s arch above you,
If you will cast your eyes on me,
However plain you be – I’ll love you!
However plain you be,
If you will cast your eyes on me,
However plain you be – I’ll love you,
I’ll love you, I’ll love, I’ll love you!


More Pirates of Penzance

1 Comments:

  • I love the operetta too! Thanks for posting it.

    By Blogger Jenni, at 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home