If It's Fiber...

Monday, February 06, 2006



I finally broke down and joined up with the Knitting Olympics. I've had a Hogwarts inspired hat in my mind for a few months now. I bought the yarn for it back at the beginning of December, but I keep chickening out when it comes down to making it. I want it to be felted, which means that I have to swatch, measure gauge, felt, measure gauge again, then figure up all the measurements for making it. I have a picture in my head of what I want. It is just a matter of getting it to come out like that.
I was inspired by Ruth's Hogwarts School Gloves that she made last year. I loved the idea of all houses being represented. House Unity and all. I mean, that is going to be what it takes to rid us of Voldemort. So anyway, I first thought of a grey vest with each of the house colors in one long stipe around it. But then I thought - I don't really wear vests much, and most importantly, I would have to place each house in a certain place on the sweater, possibly giving one more weight than others, and if the whole deal is house unity I didn't want that. I moved on to the idea of a hat and settled with one big fat stripe going all the way around, divided into quadrants, and each house having it's own quadrant. Then I could wear the hat any way I wanted, with the house I was most in tune with at the time taking a more frontal position.
(Okay, I know it sounds like I have thought this over way too long and am taking it a bit too seriously. I have and I am.)
Oh, and I'm knitting for Team Wales.(I've been having trouble getting the button to load up here on blogger)
I can answer positively for many of their qualifications AND I have a Welsh pronunciation guide.

I have just joined up with Knit the Classics. I was so excited to find this group. I have been searching in vain for a group in my area that wanted to read classics, but to no avail. My book for this month is on order and should get here by the end of the week. I'll have a little bit of catching up to do, but it shouldn't take me too long.
And they knit.
You can't get much better than that.

After the stashalong, I want to buy some sock yarn.

3 Comments:

  • I can't wait to see the hat. How are you going to construct the hat? I'm guessing flat since you will have 4 differnt color blocks, that would be a pain to figure out in circular (could it even be done?!). Like I said, can't wait to see the hat. =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:03 PM  

  • Enjoyed reading your blog. What do you mean adding the houses? Is is a Harry Potter thing? That might be it... I am so behind in the books.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:45 AM  

  • I joined the knitting olympics too, and I love Harry Potter, so I can't wait to see that Hogwarts hat

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home