If It's Fiber...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006


I've tried some Kool Aid dying techniques! A new knitting friend, Emily, came over this afternoon and we tried out two different methods for Kool Aid dying.
First, I tried the casserole dish of yarn in the microwave method, which resulted in the pink, orange, yellow, and green yarn. I put the yarn in a circular dish and divided it into quadrants for the colors. It worked pretty well, but next time I'll try harder to get the dye on the bottom.
For the second batch, I laid the yarn out on plastic wrap, dyed it in strips (Artic Apple, Lemon-lime, grape, Berry Blue, and Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade), then wraped it up in the plastic, rolled it up, and steamed it for about 45 minutes. Here's where I learned that one.
I definitely feel the plastic wrap and steaming method produced and more saturated dying.
I can't wait until they have dried and I can put them in hanks and see how the colors look that way.
They aren't super-great, but they are my first ones, and I like them!

If you drink your tea from loose leaves, take a look at this book, Tea-Cup Reading and Fortune-Telling by Tea Leaves, by a Highland Seer. Choose the html version. It has some picture examples of tea leaves in the bottom of cups.
I just love it.
Especially that it is by "a Highland Seer."

1 Comments:

  • Hi Ann,

    Kool-aid dying is so much FUN! Both hanks look very cool. Looking forward to seeing then in a ball/wound.

    To answer your question about telling an older sibling about a new baby. We told E when I was 12 weeks along, after I'd had an ultrasound and heard the heartbeat with a doppler. She seems to at least sort of understand that there is a baby in my tummy and the baby will be here before her birthday, early December.

    I agree that 6 months is a long time for a 3 year old to wait. At the same time I wanted E to have time to adjust and think about the change.

    From what I've read and observed it depends on the child. You know Bruce better then anyone. You will know the right time to tell him. :-)

    Take care.

    By Blogger Karen, at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home