If It's Fiber...

Tuesday, October 24, 2006


I've finished my Bajoran emblem inspired socks! Here is a scanned in image of the cable emblem that I made up for the back of the socks. The greens and oranges in the yarn made me think of Kira and Bajor in general.

Below you will find the pattern for the emblem.
Just know that only I have worked it, and double-checked the pattern, so there could be some mistakes in there. I also have never really done a cable pattern before, so I don't really think I used the proper cabling lingo, but i think I get my point across.
The cable emblem is worked in the round, so if you do it back and forth, you will have to reverse every other row.
In row 5 you work a bobble back a forth a few times in one stitch.
I think you could repeat row 8 even more times to give it a more elongated oval look.

Bajoran Emblem Cable Pattern
(worked in the round)

Row 1 - p9, k2, p9
2 - p8, k4, p8
3 - p7, sl 1 st to cable needle and hold in back, k2, k cable st, sl2 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k1, k2 cable sts, p7
4 - p6, sl 1 st to cable needle and hold in back, k2, p cable st, k2tog, sl 2 sts to cable needle and hold in front, p1, k2 cable sts, p6
5 - p5, sl 1 st to cable needle and hold in back, k2, p cable st, p1
yo, k5 sts into next st, turn
sl 1 pwise, p5, turn
sl 1 kwise, k5, turn
p2tog 3 times, turn
sl1 kwise, k2tog, psso, p1, sl 2 to cable needle and hold in front, p1, k cable sts, p5
6 - p4, sl 1 st to cable needle and hold in back, k2, p cable st, p2, k2 into next st, p2, sl 2 sts to cable needle and hold in front, p1, k2 cable sts, p4
7 - p3, sl 1 st to cable needle and hold in back, k2, p cable st, p3, k2, p3, sl 2 sts to cable needle and hold in front, p1, k2 cable sts, p3
8 - p3, k2, p4, k2, p4, k2, p3
9-18 - Repeat row 8 10 times
19 - p3, k2, p3, k4, p3, k2, p3
20 - Repeat row 19
21 - p3, sl 3 to cable needle and hold in front, p1, k3 cable sts, p1, k4, p1, sl 1 st to cable needle and hold in back, k3, p cable st, p3
22 - p4, sl 3 to cable needle and hold in front, p1, k3 cable sts, k4, sl 1 st to cable needle and hold in back, k3, p cable st, p4
23 - p5, M1 purlwise, k2, k1, slip next stitch over last stitch, k2, sl 1, k1, psso, k2, M1 pwise, p5
24 - p6, m1 pwise, k2, slip next stitch over last stitch, k2, sl 1, k1, psso, k1, M1 pwise, p6
25 - p7, M1 pwise, k1, slip next stitch over last stitch, k2, sl 1, k1, psso, M1 purlwise, p7
26 - p8, k4, p8
27 - Repeat row 26
28 - P9, k2, p9
29 - Repeat row 28
30 - p24
31 - p24

The socks as a whole look a bit like this:

The picture is dark, I know, but you should have seen when I tried to take the picture myself during the day! 7 month pregnant woman trying to do a modified back bend while aiming and shooting a camera. Should have been a Marx Brothers skit.

5 Comments:

  • Oh I love that cable design. How awesome you are for designing it.

    Hugs!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 PM  

  • Those socks are THE best. I LOVE them. Good for you and the whole "I design my own patterns."
    I'm sticking to my story though; watch your preggers back, Martha's out there. Somewhere. Watching you.

    By Blogger Emily, at 7:29 PM  

  • Awesome design! Bajoran freedom fighters everywhere rejoice at the thought of warm feet :)

    By Blogger Glaistig, at 10:19 AM  

  • Love the socks - the cable is very creative. I think there should have been a photo of you taking a photo of your socks. Now that would have been something.

    Just watch your back! Soft ligaments and all that when preggers! Take care...B

    By Blogger Craftybernie, at 7:38 AM  

  • Those are awesome! I found your pattern because rewatching DS9 as a knitter has inspired me. Gorgeous!

    By Blogger gojirama, at 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home