If It's Fiber...

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Alice Gertrude Hayworth Macon
December 16, 1906 - May 26, 2007

My grandmother died today. She was 100 years old. She taught preschool for 60 some years, retiring in her 80s. She loved music. She played the piano, harmonica and ukelele and may have played other instruments.

She could fry up some chicken so well that just thinking about it makes me drool. She also enjoyed making cakes and pies to give away. I took so many german chocolate cakes with me to college. My dorm-mates benefitted greatly.

Here are a few pictures of her life:

In the above picture she is being courted by my grandfather. I know you can't see much of either of them in this picture, but it is one of my favorites. (Check out those shoes!)
Below is a picutre taken in the early 40s, before my Aunt Judy was born. My dad is the one with the anchor on his sweater. He reminds me of Popeye in this one. It's neat to see your grandparents as young parents.

The last picture is how I mainly remember my Grammommie. She is with my older brother on his graduation. This was sometime around 1990.

She was an active, spry, and very stubborn lady. When her hip broke in the mid 1990s, she lost a lot of her drive. She's been in a nursing home for many years, her health steadily declining. I've missed the old her for some time. Now I just miss her. I'm glad I was able to know her for so much of my life.




Labels:

8 Comments:

  • I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
    God Bless,
    Devilyn (Hogwarts Sock Swap)

    By Blogger Devilyn, at 10:51 PM  

  • I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope that she finds happiness and comfort in whatever is awaiting us beyond this world.

    By Blogger Just A Knit Wit, at 1:32 PM  

  • OH {{{{Ann}}}} what a sweet memorial. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    I just love that first photo.
    Hugs!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:45 AM  

  • Thanks for sharing the photos and thoughts about your Grammommie. May she rest in peace. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

    By Blogger Renee, at 10:58 AM  

  • What a very lovely tribute. Thanks for sharing a bit of her life with us.

    By Blogger Emily, at 5:45 PM  

  • Aww. I know this is a bit late in getting to you, but I'm sorry to hear about your loss. She looks like she was an incredible lady :) I love the courting picture.

    xo

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:36 PM  

  • She must have been an awsome lady to know and love. The first pic reminds me of early photos of my grandparents. Thank you for posting your precious photos for us to see.
    Hugs for you and your family.
    Terry

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:24 PM  

  • Oh what precious memories and pictures! Cyber-hugs for you!

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home