If It's Fiber...

Monday, December 11, 2006

I decided to take my own picture of the blanket and washcloths that were made for the baby by many different, talented, and thoughtful yarn-loving hands.
I just love it all!

I missed out posting yesterday due to being out of town for Spamalot. I will make up for that now.
Yesterday's FOB topic was "The Wonder Moments"

Here are 15 of mine:

1. The Christmas morning that I received National Geographic's "The Adventures of Archaeology" big ol' coffee table book. I think that was in 4th grade. I was entranced. It was not something I had specifically asked for, but Santa knew just exactly what I wanted anyway. I went on to get my degree in socio-cultural anthropolgy with a minor in folklore. (Even though I had started out in college wanting to be a french teacher. I just completely loved my anthropology, classical archaeology, and folklore classes. I enjoyed homework most of the time.)

2. Rock climbing with a fellow camp counselor, Brandon. He was good, and very safety conscious. I was scared at some points, but once I reached the top it was incredible!

3. Sitting one night in high school with my friend Laura in her old convertable fiat spider, eating some Bojangles and listening to my folks' Johnny Mathis album "Heavenly" that I had put onto tape. I was drinking Cherry soda. It was just a nice night.

4. My best friend from growing up, Holly and I trying to prick our fingers so that we could become blood brothers like Grizzly Adams and his friend did. (Although they slit their hands. We weren't into it that much.) We never succeeded in getting any blood out.

5. WHen Hubby asked me to marry him. Fabulous restaurant. (Since burned down, unfortunately) Excellent food. Incredible wine. We knew the waiter, he knew what I would like and what would best compliment it. Then, at the end of the night, the couple at the table beside us left about half of their Dom Perrignon in the bottle. Mark, our friend/waiter, shared the rest of it with us. Unfortunately, I now know what GOOD champagne is like. One day we will have some again.

6. A short day hike in Switzerland. Heavens that place is gorgeous!

7. Waking up in the mornings just as dawn was starting when I was a camp counselor. Our cabins were quite open air, and it was great just listening and watching everything wake up.

8. The time I put Baby Ann's head on the stove. She was my baby doll, not a real child. I just like remembering my logic for doing that. I think it helps me in dealing with LB now. I like remembering a lot of that kid logic. It helps in life in general sometimes. (There's a great "This American Life" episode about children's logic. Click here, then search for "kid logic" it will be the first one to come up. I couldn't link directly to it.)

9. The time one of my fourth grade students told me that she never liked social studies until having me as her teacher. She said I made it really interesting and fun.

10. Spending the night with my friend Lindsley at a house she was sitting, along with it's dogs, and her teaching me to crochet.

11. Finishing and trying on the regency style walking dress and undergarment that I made for it. I used reproduction fabric from the time period that was woven on an old mill. I had just gone through a big Jane Austin reading binge. I love that dress.

12. The Hubby reading from the "Anglo-Saxon Chronicles" for me. It is interesting, but puts me to sleep in no time.

13. The evenings during LB's colicky months when Hubby would come home from work, change clothes, put "Danke Schoen" by Wayne Newton on repeat and take LB away from me.
It made me feel like I wouldn't need leave LB outside for the wolves that night.

14. My recent surprise baby shower. I truly was not expecting it, and have never had a surprise event like that before. It was incredible seeing how many people did things for it.

15. One of my UNC professors telling me that he liked my style of writing. Every other professor hated it completely.

That was an extremely hard list for me. I'm sure after a few days I'll think of memories I should have put in instead.

I must add my comments on Spamalot.
As one who enjoys watching the Flying Circus episodes more than watching the MP movies, I was a bit disappointed. I should have expected it, seeing as how it was made for Broadway.
My parents saw it earlier in the week and just loved it. I should have taken that as a sign, because they don't enjoy Monty Python normally.
It was very... well, Broadway.
I would say it was majority Broadway and minority Monty Python.
I have been watching Monty Python episodes and listening to skits for over 20 years now. I've seen the movies. Spamalot wasn't bad. It just wasn't as Pythonish as I would have liked.

Our dinner beforehand at 300 East was excellent. I had the Fall Salad which consisted of mixed greens, port-soaked cherries, goat cheese, pine nuts, chicken (not usually a big fan of that in my salads, but it was nicely done), and some other things that I can't remember now with a wonderfully light and flavorful dressing.
I also tasted Hubby's Guinness.
Mmmmmm.......
Stouts.

3 Comments:

  • I love #12, even if it's used for sleeping purposes. There's something so warm and cozy about being read to- even if, in my case, it is by Jim Dale...
    Loved the propsal too and # 3 and #8. I'm very appreciative of #10, as that experience of you learning to crochet and what came of it has benefited me thoroughly!
    Though of course my favorite was #14. HA! The surprise was strong in you.

    By Blogger Emily, at 2:56 PM  

  • Fascinating post! You had mentioned your folklore background in a comment on my blog and I was just floored. I was an anthro undergrad and grad student and studied folkore too! It's lovely to find a kindred spirit.

    Your hubby sounds delightfully quirky. Anglo-Saxon Chronicles and Wayne Newton? What a combo!

    By Blogger Glaistig, at 4:24 PM  

  • P.S. What a great baby quilt! I'd love a true heirloom like that.

    By Blogger Glaistig, at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home