If It's Fiber...

Friday, December 08, 2006

Last night, I was tricked into a baby shower at my LYS. I had been told by Neighbor Knitter that it was a Christmas party for those that come to the knitting time. Apparently, She and Miz Knotty orchestrated this whole thing, even going to the extent of emailing everyone that I had emailed with pictures of LB and the ultrasounds of the baby. (How sneaky!)
They sent out yarn to those who could knit and/or crochet and received squares back, which they then seamed together into a blanket. Other ladies that come to the knitting time at the store made squares. Cathy, Linda, Shelby, Toya, Sarah and Cindy all made squares for it.
There were also a few extra squares so I now have some most excellent baby washcloths to go along with it!
Neighbor Knitter has pics.
They received squares from people they have never met, but have big importance to me in my life. People like Lindsley, Darcie, Duke, and Andrea.
When they told me some of the squares came from these women, I was stunned.
And very touched.
I have definitely not been expecting a shower for this second one. I was very surprised.
Women friends are great. I think they are one of the things that I could not do without.

And speaking of things one cannot do without, I give you

Neighbor Knitter's FOB #17: Possessions you would not like to live without

1. Old radio shows - detectives, mysteries, and especially the scifis

2. Old movies about rich people - most of these end up having been made in the thirties. The women were just plain glamorous, the men oh so debonair.

3. Baby Ann - I received her as a kid, put her plastic head of plastic hair on the stove and turned it on to see what would happen (black hard mess that I had to cut out), and she still stays around even after such abuse

4. Beatles albums

5. My Ultra Lounge cds

6. The old record player that was a school discard

7. My first boxed set of the Chronicles of Narnia. Read these in elementary school and many times over and over ever since. (I have a newer boxed set that I used to let my students use in the classroom.)

8. Right now, I must say the one pair of maternity pants that actually stay on, don't ride up or down, and stretch along with me. They were bought during my pregnancy with LB, and the brand doesn't make them anymore.

9. Also maternity related: Maternity underwear from Mimi Maternity. It is SO worth the money. The best maternity underwear out there.

10. My $50 yard sale Necchi sewing machine that Lindsley encouraged me to buy. It's from the 1950s, metal parts, closes up to look like a small chest of drawers. Stitches like a dream. Straight stitch and zig-zag. You really don't need any more than that in a machine.

11. Cable internet. Every penny is worth it.

12. A few small boxes of special things collected over the years. Some costume jewelry that belonged my great aunt and some that belonged to each of my grandmothers, coins from other countries, sticks, stones, a feather etc. All the kinds of items that mesmerized me as a child.

13. The cut glass crystals from my grandmother's kitchen that I mentioned in yesterday's list

14. My books. I've had to live my married years with them packed up until we moved into this house last year. It's such a wonderful feeling to have them around me and there when I want to read passages again.

15. pencils and pens. black ink only please.

16. My cookbooks. even when I don't plan on cooking, I still love to read them

17. And, I must agree with Neighbor Knitter and have the Harry Potter books in this list. JK! Please finish the last book now! I must know what happens! (Then my Gollum voice rises up and says "NO! once I've read it, it will all be over! I must keep my theories of Snape's innocence and the Weasley family safety - except for Percy - alive! Book 7 is my Precious. Reading it would be like throwing it into the fires!)

After writing this, I realize there may be a difference between things I would not like to live without, and items that I would try to save were we forced to grab something and go due to fire or some apocalyptic event.

One bind off row left on the babyjacket!

5 Comments:

  • I was so excited and have been on "pins and niddles" (as Ricky Ricardo would say) for over a month! The blanket is beautiful and I'm glad that you like it and that you were surprised.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 7:11 PM  

  • Hi mama! Your blanket is GORGEOUS!! You must have been so surprised!

    Thank you for your well wishes- Tuesday looks like the day we're going to the old hospital. Thank God/Goddess/Ali Baba/Ali G/whoever may be listening out there in the universe for knitting...it's what helps keep me glued together during these times.

    Regarding the cooler full of hair dye, well, we've got black, electric blue, kelly green and red. What's your fancy? They're all veggie based and safe for the baby :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:30 AM  

  • HAHAHA, my clever plan worked! Duped, Knitty Yoda was duped! HAHAHA.
    *End voice of 1910 film villian, especially as they didn't have sound back then, in films that is, not sound in general.*
    It was such a joy to participate in that blanket. Can't say it any clearer than that. It will stay in my box of most proudest memories ever.
    Love the list. Love the Narnia and the Harry- particularly the Gollum voice. Perhaps I should have called it "My Preeecious" list. But then fingers might have been lost, it could have gotten ugly.
    Hope the weekend's swell. Look forward to talking when we emerge from our family shells come Monday. More thoughts on Potter we must discuss during Little Boo's school time.

    By Blogger Emily, at 11:19 AM  

  • Hiya Ann, ok I wrote you the best and longest comment and blogger keeps erasing it all on me when I try to post it and I am gettign really frustrated. but I wasnt to say hi to you so badly and let you know that I have been reading your lists and cant believe how similar some of our tastes are. you always list things I wish I had remembered. And Oh man, I love that you love cheese too. Dairy products are great. I love butter, none of that processed rubbish that they sell as the healthier alternative. You know its not necessarily better for you. everything in moderation I say!

    congrats also on the newest addition to the family. how exciting. I come from a big family, being the eldest of 4 kids and love it. your baby shower sounded amazing. isnt neighbour knitter a sneaky thing? :) and the blanket is gorgeous, a family heirloom now. I'm sure your baby with cherish it forever.

    have a lovely weekend. I'm going to have fun with this next list. I'll find you some pretty Irish and Persian names.

    Knatty xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:09 PM  

  • LOL I can definitely picture you doing a Gollum voice LOL.

    Oh I love the name Sarah, even if it is taken.

    Hugs hon!!!! enjoy the show.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home