If It's Fiber...

Tuesday, January 02, 2007


Here is the one completed Wine and Roses mitt. I tried taking a picture of my hand modeling it, but that turned out to be a bit harder than I had thought. Also, since my thumb bind off was a little tight, my thumb kept looking a nice shade of purple. If I keep this, I must redo the bind off.
Today was a gorgeous and sunny day, but I took advantage of it by getting LB and I outside, instead of taking pictures of my work.

I've decided to list out the projects that are on my agenda for this new year. I may be joining Miz Knotty's stashalong, because everything I have listed to make, I have yarn for already, except for one item.
Many of the projects come from the yarn that I just purchased at my lys's big sale.

1. Some Elizabeth Zimmerman baby leggings. These would be the only garment for which I may need to purchase yarn. I have some things that might work, but gauge, fiber content, and yardage come into play somehow with each of my options.

2. I think I may make Stella out of the Noro Lily Multi that I won last year in the Knit the CLassics group. I definitely want to make something out of that yarn this year.

3. I bought some worsted weight alpaca a couple of years ago and have yet to do anything with it. I have enough for a sweater. I'm working on some design ideas for it now, using Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns. (libraries are so nice) I'm considering some type of cabling or lace. Not heavy, just a touch.

4. A hat out of the Noro Iro that I bought at my lys

5. The Brea Bag

6. A couple of moebius baskets out of the yarn that I dyed over the summer. I want these done by easter, as I think the colors are quite appropriate for that holiday.

7. At least one lace shawl of my own design, using the laceweight yarn I bought last week.

8. I would like to make something from the Weldon's Practical Needlework Volume 1 that I found at a used book store. ( I bought it for $18!!!) Ideally it would be one of the items that they don't have a picture for. I just like the idea of making it with no clue as to it's outcome. Kind of like a mystery.

9. At least 3 pairs of socks! I have more than enough sock yarn for that now.

That does it for the knitting. I also want to try my hand at some self-striping yarn. I have two skeins of undyed worsted weight yarn, but I would prefer my self-striping yarn be for socks. We'll see. I like the whole idea of figuring up the math for it. That's just too enticing for me.

On the sewing end of things, I really want to do more sewing in general. I know I won't really be able to make any clothes for myself, seeing as how it's 9 months in and 9 months out when your having a baby. But I would like to make a bedspread for LB and some big ol' floor pillows for him and the new one. I have had the fabric for these for awhile now. I just haven't gotten to them. The same goes for drapes for our bedroom and LB's bedroom.

7 Comments:

  • Your mitts are gorgeous, dahlink! I'm right there with you, having to redo a bind off I did on my SP's gauntlet's...crapola...

    You've got a mighty healthy list there, girly! It's so cool you won something through Knit the Classics. What was it for? I'm half-way through The Woman in White and mannnna, is it awesome! Have you started reading it yet?

    Off I go to work on my shawl and pray for buckets of money to fall over my head...:) It's bill time again :(

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:53 PM  

  • I kind of liked your version of beautiful :P I wouldn't change a thing!

    Regarding TWIW, you just need to hang in there a bit, and you'll get hooked. When I first started it, I was tempted to just stick the DVD in the player and call it a day (so very bad of me to think about cheating)...I am sooooooo glad that I didn't. Now I think about the characters during the day and wonder what they're doing while I'm not reading about them...yes, I know...I've watched too much Neverending Story...

    I'm off to bed. Have fun baking the baby- he/she(?) is almost ready to join us, correct? :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:14 PM  

  • I REAALLLYY like these! May have to add that to next year's knitting list.

    By Blogger Renee, at 11:24 AM  

  • Wow you have a list don't you? When I get my sewing machine fixed I might call on your expertise for help.

    Hugs!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 PM  

  • hello and happy new year...my apologise for disappearing but home kinda took over for awhile but I'm back and happy to be! Wow, you have been a busy woman. I dont know how you get so much done, you put me to shame :) beautiful gloves, where did you get the pattern. I have been thinking of making a pair like that with the wool I got from Brooke's shop...its too pretty for my feet, I want to display it all day long. How was your Chrsitmas/Holiday time? Good I hope...its always magically with a little person around to share it with. Hope your new year will be happy and full....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:11 PM  

  • Ann, what weight yarn did you use for these? I received my first copy of I'weave knits Friday (Winter 2006) and am excited about making these next winter for myself or neice. Just wondered if there was something stash-worthy for these. I really do like the laciness.

    Also, don't think I commented on your wonderful load of goodies from the LYS sale! Wooo Hooo

    By Blogger Renee, at 2:29 PM  

  • Ann, your Wine and Roses mitt is gorgeous. It looks so vintage! Please tell us you're going to finish the second one :)

    I clicked on the Weldon link and that book is really something else. What a score! Knitting something sight unseen will truely be a test of faith and incredibly fun I'm sure :) "To Boldly Go Where Few Knitters Have Gone Before."

    By Blogger Glaistig, at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home