If It's Fiber...

Friday, December 15, 2006

FOB #10 Instructions for Life

1. Moderation in all things
2. The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
3. You can't always do things to please others, make sure you please yourself too
4. Keep emotionally clingy people at arms length. These people are constantly in crisis mode and will take all to positive energy you give them, without sending any back your way. (I've worked hard on this one in this past year.)
5. Stand up for yourself
6. Sometimes, the best way to let your child be an independant individual is to let him make mistakes, as much as it hurts you to see it happen.
7. Remember the embarrassing mistakes you made as a kid? You were a KID. Get over it. (I'm still working very hard on this one)
8. Many times, things you remember as being incredibly bad and embarrassing, others don't remember at all until you mention it to them.
9. "Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me."
10. One little step is how every journey begins. Inertia will help with the rest.

I know I will be thinking of this more throughout the day. There are so many words that can help out for so many different situations. Some of these have come from the fact that I have been putting my family's old home videos onto dvd for a Christmas present for my folks. It's been trying watching my earlier years and how I interacted with my family and friends. It's brought up some very uncomfortable, unhappy memories. Nothing truly bad, just made me remember that I was brought up to be my dad's little boy, instead of the girl I was. It made the preteen years difficult. But I know those awkward years are difficult for everyone.

Anyhoo, there's my bit of therapy for the day.
I really look forward to reading what the others write for today's FOB!

4 Comments:

  • Hiya Ann,

    such a great list and so positive. I feel uplifted having just read it :) particularly number 10 for someone in the thick of finals week, starting is often the hardest part. Your lists are great and I am hoping to catch up some this weekend, so stop by and see what you think. also I put you on my buddies list, hope you dont mind. lots of people should read your blog, particularly todays, cuz its so super cool.

    px

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 PM  

  • Great list! I'm really enjoying reading the responses to this post. I really love good advice from others!! I particularly can relate to #6 right now- it's so hard to let Eli "fall" figuratively speaking, but I know it's how he will learn and grow. I also felt a connection to your #4 and #7. It was interesting to read that this was your bit of therapy for the day, because I kind of felt that way when I finished my list, too. Cool.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:58 PM  

  • Oh, Knitty Yoda, you are one of my favorite people. Definitely my favorite Yoda.
    Hope this helps you for your fam-damn-ily weekend.
    Excellent list.

    By Blogger Emily, at 2:55 PM  

  • Now this is the kind of therapy I can use. Number 7 reminds me to give myself a break. Number 4 is truer than true. And it goes well with number 3. . . .

    By Blogger Glaistig, at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home